In line with the above Rosenberg’s and Taylor’s descriptions, Murtada Mutahhari delineates the need of epistemology for any schools of thought including the teories of human sciences. Mutahhari explains the close relationship between ideology, worldview and theory of knowledge (epistemology). He says that worldview functions as the intellectual infrastructure while ideology serves as the superstructure. And then it comes a question: why are there different worldviews?
The answer to this question leads us to discuss the issue of correct knowledge and wrong knowledge. We shall deal first with the issue of knowledge and see what correct knowledge is. Mutahhari says, “The world is a world of schools and ideologies. Schools and ideologies are based upon worldviews, and worldviews in turn are based upon knowledge. Out of this, man will realize the importance of the issue of knowledge. .. This is the reason why, before dealing with ideologies, schools and worldviews, we must first settle the issue of knowledge.” (Murtada Mutahhari, The Theory of Knowledge: An Islamic Perspective, London: ICAS Press, 2011)
This conference is aimed to reach such purposes as follows:
1. Developing a new paradigm of human sciences on the basis of Islamic perspective through discussion on epistemology.
2. Innovating new model and methodologies of human sciences, which is compatible with the real and true humanity, religousity, and spirituality in the Islamic perspective.
3. Promoting the importance Islamic epistemology for developing new paradigm of human sciences.
4. Building a scientific network among Muslim scholars and universities especially across Indonesia in order to work together for disseminating and developing the countinous agenda of “Islamic Human Sciences”.
5. Generating insightful notions for developing human sciences inspired by Islamic thought and tradition.
The topics of interest to be covered by IC-THuSI 2015 include:
v Islamic Epistemology and Its Relevance to Developing A New Paradigm of Human Sciences.
v Epistemology and Methodology in the field of studies:
1. Anthropology, particularly for developing Spiritual Anthropology
2. Sociology: prophetic sociology
3. Psychology: transpersonal, religious-humanistic psychology
4. Politics: religious democracy
5. Economics: Islamic principles on economics
6. Education: Islamic character building
Call for Papers
All interested professors, researchers, and scholars from various related backgrounds are kindly invited to contribute papers for presentation to the conference. Abstracts of 250-300 words with a short vita should be submitted to email@example.com
by July 31, 2015. Upon acceptance, full papers should be submitted by October 1, 2015